What are you go to summer snacks for kids? I would love for you to share them with me! Today it’s official school is out but that doesn’t mean you don’t have to pack the kids lunches anymore! Day Camp, weekend activities, soccer, baseball, dance. I could go on. It’s tough finding the right thing to snack on. My kids love granola bars and healthy snack bars. However, have you ever read the packaging on the bar to see how much sugar is in them!? I try to! Recently, I did a Facebook live with Dietician Amanda Lapidus about healthy snacks for kids. She gave some great options. The video s below. I loved the smoothie bowl idea for the summer. My kids love making their own food and their own mess! One of the products that Amanda mentioned was Kind Bars. I’ve seen them at Loblaws, Costco and when I’m running late at Starbucks it’s my go to! A Soy chai latte and Kind Bar to go please and I’m a happy camper. They are delicious and you can recognize the ingredients on the packaging! Kind Snacks recently did a sugar survey and Amanda Lapidus shared the survey with me. It’s below. See if any of these stats are true for you!
Canadians are concerned about eating too much sugar and they’re trying to take steps to understand sugar amounts in the foods they are eating
- According to a survey conducted by KIND and Leger, 77% of Canadian women say sugar is a “very” or “somewhat” important consideration in choosing a snack for themselves and 89% say it’s “very” or “somewhat” important for choosing a snack for their kids.
- 64% of women strive to choose snacks that contain between 0 and 10 grams of sugar for themselves and 72% strive for this amount when choosing snacks for their kids.
- Women estimate that one-third of the sugar in their diets comes from fruit and vegetable sources. 2. “There is a lot of confusion over what a healthy amount of sugar looks like in people’s diets.”
- Canadians underestimate the amount of sugar they are consuming from “other” products such as snacks and beverages by 15 per cent.
- One in four Canadian adult women don’t know how much sugar is an appropriate amount in a snack for themselves; one in five women don’t know how much sugar is appropriate for snacks for their kids.
- 45 and 30 per cent of women, respectively, first look at the Nutrition Facts Table or read ingredient lists to determine how much sugar is in a prospective snack. 7% of women don’t know how to tell how much sugar is in a food.
- 42 per cent of Canadian women don’t know what upper sugar limit to strive for each day. 3. “KIND bars can be a good snack option for moms who are looking to limit sugar in their (and their kids’) diets.” ● With 5 grams of sugar on average in KIND’s leading bars, they contain less than one quarter of the amount of sugar of competing nutrition bars and less than one fifth of the sugar in chocolate bars.
- KIND is continuing to work tirelessly to make snacks that are both healthy and tasty – not one or the other – and have updated four flavors within their Fruit & Nut and Healthy Grains lines to contain between 17 and 36% less sugar compared to the prior recipes. Look out for these new & improved bars in retail locations in 2017!
● Many flavours of KIND contain dried fruit, meaning that some of the total sugars in a bar are naturally occurring while also providing nutrients such as fibre and iron.
Today we are giving away some fabulous gifts from Davids Tea! The SpecialKayes and I have one in our neighbourhood and we are in there often. When we renovated the kitchen I made sure I had a tea drawer and not a small one. I should really be putting pots and pans in my tea drawer it’s that deep! I put the pans in the closet! One tea I love having with my kids is Birthday cake tea. No caffeine and it is has sprinkles!
Now you can have your own tea party at your house! We are giving away $250 dollars worth of Davids Tea gifts! Team Taylor went into David’s and picked some great gifts just for you! Enter below. The draw is happening December 19th! Good luck!
No purchase necessary. Open only to residents of Ontario, Canada. Must be at least 18 years of age. Contest closes December 19th. Odds of winning a prize depend on number of eligible entries received per contest period. By entering this contest, you agree to abide by Contest rules and agree to accept any prize as awarded and agree that all decisions by the www.taylorkaye.com team in regards to this contest are final. See more details at www.taylorkaye.com
OMG we’re already on Day # 5 of Taylor Kaye’s giveaway. Rember to enter daily and enter often! Today win a $250 dollar Starbucks gift card. Starbucks has a great selection of gifts for everyone on your list to delicious food and beverages choices. Usually, when I go into Starbucks I buy something for a friend and something for me during the holiday season. Hey sometimes you have to gift yourself right! What is your fave Starbucks drink let us know below! Also, below are some fun gift suggestions for you or someone you love or a cute hostess gift! Click the rafflecopter link below to be entered! Good luck!
No purchase necessary. Open only to residents of Ontario, Canada. Must be at least 18 years of age. Contest closes December 18th. Odds of winning a prize depend on number of eligible entries received per contest period. By entering this contest, you agree to abide by Contest rules and agree to accept any prize as awarded and agree that all decisions by the www.taylorkaye.com team in regards to this contest are final. See more details at www.taylorkaye.com
The big question in our house even at breakfast time is what’s for dinner! Do you like cooking bacon on the stove top? I sure don’t so my girlfriend suggested I bake it. Ummm, it kinda didn’t work out for me. Clearly, I should have listened a bit more when she was telling me how to do it!
Month 6 and still no kitchen! You’ve been asking what we cook and eat! Well, it’s time to take notes!
So we are going on month 6 with no kitchen in the Special Kaye household! I’m always looking for simple easy nutritious foods to feed my 3 little ones. It’s tough sometimes…again add in that we have no kitchen and it can be a mess! In the 6 months we’ve had no kitchen I can count on my 1 hand how much we’ve eaten out. I don’t like take out! Thank goodness for Hain-Celestial! They have some amazing products that my kids and I found and I LOVE. ( and no this is not an endorsement…this is just me showing my love for some of my fave foods!) It’s tough trekking through the supermarket with 3 little ones while they try and throw everything in the cart. I’m constantly saying NO! However, little by little I’ve introduced them to HC! Of course their fave is the frozen fruit from Europe’s Best because we make some amazing smoothies with them. They are addicted to edamame…as long as I put some butter on it! One of my faves is the shot above it’s Europe’s Best Greens & Grains AND it’s so easy to make. Our go to snacks is the Terra chips. We have them for movie night with popcorn and I’ve been able to put a whole bunch in their lunch bags for school. The girls call them their rainbow chips! (Taro, Sweet Potato, Yuca, Batata and Parsnip) They almost lost it the other day because we ran out of a bag! Thank goodness we live close to a grocery store! I ran down and the crying stopped! Yes I was the one mostly crying ha ha! ( we ate the bag but I got a second just in case!)
If you’re looking to add some colour into your meals and some goodness check out some of the products Hains- Celestial has! Ps. try the mango and coconut…you won’t be disappointed! I’d love to know what you’re feeding your kids and some of your easy meal ideas! Please share!
How new are these — i.e.. how long they’ve been on the market? – Launched in April 2015
suggested retail price – $5.49-$6.49
How many flavours of Terra chips are there now? – 8 flavours
When did the original ones first hit the market? – Terra chips were created over 20 years ago in USA. Hain-Celestial acquired the Terra Chips business in 1998 and the following year Terra Chips were launched in Canada…
Which flavour is the current biggest seller? – Terra Exotic Vegetable Chips Original
What are the ingredients of the original ones? – a combination of exotic vegetables – Taro, Sweet Potato, Yuca, Batata and Parsnip.
Are these the first with fruits as well as vegetables? – first in Canada